This year's Photonics West conference promises to be jam-packed with new product exhibits, technical presentations, business courses and meetings with some of the top optics and photonics companies from around the world. The trip is well worth it, but the hectic schedules can easily cause trade show burnout. To break up the routine and save some sanity, we're making it a priority to get out of the conference center and see some of what San Francisco has to offer.
Here are our recommendations:
Eat & Drink
Grab a bite to eat in between events or after a long day at:
- Johnny Foley’s — Considered the unofficial exhibitor lounge, Johnny Foley's Irish House has long been on the must-visit list of Photonics West participants.
- The Keystone — Formerly Annabelle's, this modern tavern offers "California cuisine with a focus on local, organic, sustainably raised ingredients." While we will miss Annabelle's, judging by the reviews The Keystone shouldn't disappoint.
- Twenty Five Lusk — We're committed to trying a new spot this year, and this restaurant and lounge bar will likely be our pick. It's built in an old warehouse and boasts a unique menu and coctails.
Although San Francisco's Beer Week festivities will be over by the time Photonics West rolls around, you can still check out some of the event's featured bars an breweries.
- Third Thursdays in Yerba Buena Gardens — End your visit on a high note on the 18th by enjoying the art and music of the Yerba Buena neighborhood. Pick up a badge at any of the participating museums and galleries for specials and discounts in area shops, bars and restaruants.
- SF Indifest Film Festival — Access your inner cinemaphile and catch an independent film during this annual festival.
- Chinese New Year Parade — If you're still in town the weekend after the conference, check out the Chinese New Year Street Festival & Parade, featuring Chinese folk dancing, opera and drumming, and more than 80 booths and concessions.
Enjoy The View
From the Golden Gate Bridge to The Presidio to Pier 39, San Francisco has a variety of vistas to take in. Make it a goal to visit at least one of the city's celebrated attractions during your stay.
One final tip: When it comes time to head home, promise yourself that you won't take the red eye. Seriously. Just don't.
How do you avoid trade show burnout? What are you most looking forward to at Photonics West? Let us know!
Plan to get more out of Photonics West or your next event with our Trade Show Planner.