Trade Show Prep
In optics and photonics and some of the other highly-targeted industries we serve, trade shows remain one of the most successful ways to connect and reconnect with prospects; however, preparing for them can be a daunting task. Inevitably you will forget something, but it helps to be prepared. Before the craziness begins, before the deadlines are breathing down your neck and UPS is knocking on your door, take ten minutes to write out a list of things that you need to take. For guidance, I read a great article by Candy Adams, “Don’t Leave Home Without It.”
Thanks to Candy, we now have a great place to start:
- Cargo Boxes – Trust me, you will need extras when you are repacking your booth.
- Portable Strapping Kit – You have to have something to hold your cargo boxes to the pallet.
- Bubble Wrap
- Tape of all shapes and colors
- Black Stretch Tape
- Tear-by-Hand Tape (Scotch makes a good one.)
- Gaffer Tape – aka Fabric or Cloth Tape, the stuff the sound guys use; it’s great for taping cords to the floor, etc.
- Double Sided Adhesive Tape
- Velcro – It's great for just about everything.
- Instant Carpet Stain Remover – Because no, your morning latte displayed on the white carpet in the middle of your booth is not the best way to greet customers…we’ve all done it.
- Novus Polishes – To make your booth shine.
- Box Cutters – Remember to pack this item in the pallets that are being shipped, they look down on it at the airport these days, but believe me they are more useful than the pair of dull scissors you can borrow from your neighbor.
- Permanent Markers – For touching up your booth and/or marking items & boxes.
- Portable Vacuum – Just a little Dirt Devil will do.
Print this list out and put it in your trade show folder.